Monday, January 4, 2010

Overview of the Ultimate Solution

Here's what the Ultimate Solution looks like:
  1. Solve all the edges
    • Solve the bottom cross
    • Solve 3 center edges
    • Solve the top edges and the remaining center edge
  2. Solve all the corners
    • Solve 5 corners
    • Solve the last 3 corners
Every time you do anything, it'll be using either an Edge Piece Series or a Corner Piece Series. (Marshall calls the moves Series, rather than Algorithms). From now on, I'll refer to an edge piece series as EPS and a corner piece series as CPS.

So, if it says...

Do an EPS on the two top edges and the center edge

...it means that you need to carry out the set of turns which make up the Edge Piece Series on those three pieces.

So, what's an Edge Piece Series? Let's find out.

9 comments:

  1. Great guide! I put down my Rubik's Cube 4-5 years ago, and now I'm back into it. I'm 13.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous. I'm glad you like it. Stick with it because you can solve most other twisty puzzles with it as well.

      Delete
  2. great job!! i m a speedcuber, n fedup with memorizing algo's..they set on ur hand but u nevr feel d triumph of solvin at d end..hats off 2 phillip marshall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Now I can solve the cube. This is great. And it is still a puzzle - you have to think about it. I'm using a pen and paper to keep track of setup moves etc in the end game but that's all. The two simple routines are easily memorised. Thanks for your explanations and for putting this site up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous,
      No problem. Glad it's helped.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations for your great job ! Learning tons of algorithms to solve a twisty puzzle is one thing, but using a "universal" method that is "understandable", easy to remember and keeps you thinking of what you're doing is really a step higher to me.

    By the way, did you notice that the 3-edge series works also fine on a floppy/super floppy/scramble cube... once applied to its corners ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Asthalis,

      Thanks very much for your kind words.

      Yes, regarding the 3x3x1 puzzle, I did. In fact, I've already made a video about it but I didn't create a blog page so it doesn't show up on this site. the video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcmz1f-Ctc

      Delete
  5. Thanks to your explanation of the EPS and CPS I was able to solve the pyramorphix without referring to any other complicated alogrithms. Thanks for making it simple.

    ReplyDelete