Saturday, May 21, 2011

2x2x2 Pocket Cube

The 2x2x2 Pocket Cube is easier than the Rubik's Cube (there are only corners to worry about) and harder (there are a few different cases to remember for the end game arrangement).


I will be using the white-yellow, blue-green, red-orange colour scheme, with white on top, red on left and blue on right. It's assumed you can solve a 3x3x3 rubiks cube.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To buy this cube from hknowstore, click here. Nowstore has a great range and superb customer service. (No, I have no financial arrangement with nowstore!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** I have a much better, newer, single video which shows how to solve this cube. I suggest you have a look at this video.



 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But if you'd prefer, here are the original steps and videos.

The Basic Plot
  1. Solve the White Face
  2. Position Yellow Pieces and Carry Out End Game
Step 1: Solve White Face

First, solve all 4 white pieces. Make sure you align them correctly with each other.




Step 2: Position Yellow Pieces & Carry Out End Game

Turn the cube over so that the white layer is on the bottom. The yellow pieces will now be in one of four arrangements.
  1. All pieces are in the correct position relative to each other
  2. Two opposite pieces are correct relative to each other
  3. Two adjacent pieces are correct relative to each other and neither of the other two has yellow on top
  4. Two adjacent pieces are correct relative to each other and at least one of the other two has yellow on top
Depending on which of these you find, there is an extra corner piece series to carry out.

Case 1: All correct relative to each other

In this case, choose any 3 yellow pieces and carry out a corner piece series. Make sure that a piece moving across the diagonal has its yellow sticker coming to the top. Once that's done, turn the top layer to move that piece into its correct position. You can then do the endgame.



Case 2: Two opposite correct


In this case, choose any 3 yellow pieces and carry out a corner piece series. Make sure that a piece moving along the edge has its yellow sticker coming to the top. Once that's done, turn the top layer to move that piece into its correct position. You can then do the endgame.




Case 3: Two adjacent correct and no others have yellow on top


In this case, you'll have two yellow pieces which are out of position. Use these two pieces and one of the other correctly positioned yellow pieces. Make sure that a piece moving across the diagonal has its yellow sticker coming to the top. Once that's done, turn the top layer to move that piece into its correct position. You can then do the endgame.




Case 4: Two adjacent correct with at least 1 other yellow on top

In this case, you'll have two yellow pieces which are out of position. One of these has its yellow sticker on top. Turn the top face to move this piece into its correct position. You are now ready to do the endgame.





And that's it. Your pocket cube is now solved. I trust this site has been helpful. If you have any questions or want some clarifications, please use the comments to do so.

To buy this cube from hknowstore, click here. Nowstore has a great range and superb customer service. (No, I have no financial arrangement with nowstore!)


8 comments:

  1. For step 2, I have a case where only 1 piece is in correct position, but your guide does not cover that scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chajadan,

    This just means you need to turn the yellow face 1, 2 or 3 turns. Turn it 1 turn and then have a look again. If none of the situations above show up, turn it another turn. The cases described above are the only possible situations, and if you turn the yellow face, one of them will eventually appear.

    Hope that helps. Comment again if you're still stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have case II, two opposites are correct, but I have all yellow sides up, hence there is no edge piece that would come up should I do an edge piece series as suggested. To solve this I would do an edge piece series, and see what case presents itself now, but I would like to point out that there is a hole in the completeness of this solution guide. Thanks so much, by the way, for doing all this work. I am enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words.

      I never encountered this case and I'm fairly sure Marshall doesn't address it at all on his site. (I just checked; he doesn't.)

      Here's what I think will work: do a corner piece series using any 3 pieces. Once that's done, this should leave you with the same situation (two opposites correct), but this time you should be able to find one which comes up to the top along an edge.

      Let me know how this goes.

      Delete
  4. Alright, I can send you a picture next this occurs, if you like. I´ll give you feedback on your proposed solution. Congrats on a better brain than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am finding several obstacles with the 2X2X2 page. Videos for Case III and Case IV are the same, I believe. The shown videos for both cases is for case IV and a case III video would be missing.

    I also right now hold a cube where following case IV will not lead to a setup where I can do the end game. I am operating under the assumption that the longest reasonable series for set up moves is 3. I have found no such possible end game for a case where the face that needs to be set into position is the top face that the second cube of the end game will roll into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      First, thanks very much for pointing out the video double up. I've put the correct video in there now, so let me know if this shows up ok.

      Second, could you please explain this problem better, or else post a video or picture to my inbox? I'm just not understanding what you mean by "I have found no such possible end game for a case where the face that needs to be set into position is the top face that the second cube of the end game will roll into."

      Delete
  6. Hi!

    I've got a case I can't solve. I had two yellow pieces well positioned and oriented and the other two which aren't. I can't do the corner piece serie with any other corner.

    Thank you for your help,

    ReplyDelete