Tuesday, November 29, 2011

3x3x5 Cuboid


The 3x3x5 is a fully functional and proportional cuboid, which shape-shifts. The one I'm using is custom-made (by Smaz) and is a really enjoyable solve.

The Basic Plot
  1. Solve the inner 3x3x3 edges.
  2. Solve the inner 3x3x3 corners.
  3. Solve the outer edges.
  4. Solve the outer corners.
Step 1: Solve Inner 3x3x3 Edges

The key thing with this puzzle is to focus first on the 3x3x3 cube located in the center of the cuboid. Forget about the top and bottom faces, and just pretend you're solving a 3x3x3. 

To start it off, solve the edges.





Step 2: Solve Inner 3x3x3 Corners

Next, solve the corners, as you would on a standard cube. The only tricky part is seeing which corner goes where, since some corners have only two colors on them.


Here's what to do when you have three inner corners to go.




Step 3: Solve Outer Edges
 
From now on, forget about the inner 3x3x3, which is solved, and approach the remaining pieces as the upper and lower layers on a 3x3x4.

The outer edges are solved in this way.



Step 4: Solve Outer Corners

Finally, complete the solve by placing the outer corners, again, just as you would for a 3x3x4 cuboid.
 



And that's it. Your 3x3x5 Cuboid is now solved. I trust this site has been helpful. If you have any questions or want some clarifications, please use the comments to do so.


12 comments:

  1. Hi there. Where did you buy the Smaz 3x3x5 ? I nearly made a mistake ordering 3x3x5 but it doesn't turn like on your video. How much is it ?

    Thanks.
    P/s At this moment, I'm trying to solve Mercury Crazy 3x3x3...by looking at your video tut...NOT EASY !!! :) But getting there...getting there !

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    The smaz 335, I bought from the seller, Smaz, on ebay. His shop is at http://myworld.ebay.com.au/smartoyshop/. If he doesn't have any currently on ebay, you could always send a message and ask if he has any for sale. In any event, I suspect the 335 will be mass produced before too long. Make sure if you do buy one, it's fully functional, not extended.

    Mercury: persist! And make sure you post any questions. Believe me, once you get it (and any others), you'll love them. They're just awesome value for money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get the colored-pieces Crazy 3x3x3 Planet series but no more in production, I was told. The black body series on the Crazy 3x3x3 doesn't look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hhhmmm...it's tempting for me to get this !

    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SmaZ-cube-custom-made-mini-size-3x3x3-Evil-Twins-rubiks-/120824529017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21b40079

    Do you think it can be solved like 3x3x3 ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    I think the evil twin probably can be solved like a 3x3x3, but I make no promises!

    Also, with the 3x3x3, you're better off getting the black plastic ones than not having any. You might find some on ebay as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to get at least 4 'planets' on the NON-STICKERS Crazy 3x3x3. I have too many black body puzzle cubes !

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous

    Are you a member of twistypuzzles.com? If so, perhaps ask on there whether anyone wants to sell. If not, I can possibly ask on TP whether anyone wants to sell, and then arrange to ship them to you. If you want to explore this, post a comment here with your email address. I receive them straight away. I'll delete the comment straight away. Then I'll email you to work out how we can proceed. and then I'll delete this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in Asia. :) If I wanna get anything by post, it's best to wait until January. Parcels tend to get lost during the festive December !
    No, I'm not a member of the TP. I tried to become a member but rejected with a stupid comment like 'you need to win a cube competition to join but feel free to submit your application again !'. Yes, maybe it's just a 'precaution' for new members to 'SERIOUSLY THINK' if they really wanna be on TP but that put me off BIG TIME !!
    At the moment, I have a few puzzles that I'm still playing with,...finding solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I recently found a cube at a garage sale and I'm not sure what the dimensions are. It's like a 3x3x5 crossed with another 3x3x5 so I'm not really sure what to look up to learn how to solve it. Awesome blog by the way, I can't believe I only just came across it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are a couple of corner parities that show up when solving this cuboid. I was just wondering if you could address them? I assume that they are a result of the inner edges (the ones with only one face) appearing interchangeable.

    I have had some success (though it may be blind luck) with regard to an inside corner parity with putting both corners on one face, rotating the face 180 degrees, re-solving the edges and re-solving the corners. I'm not positive that this always works, but it seems comparable to the corner parity fix on the 4x4 cube.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of having a conversation with myself, I can confirm that placing two remaining swapped (parity) inside corners on one long face, rotating that face 180, re-solving the two edges, and then re-solving the corners works repeatably for solving inside corner parity.

      Delete