Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Skewb Xtreme

The Skewb Xtreme is a new skewb modification produced by Mefferts. To buy this puzzle, click here.

The Basic Plot
  1. Solve Corners
  2. Place Centers
  3. Twist Centers
Step 1: Solve Corners

Begin with any corner piece. Place the 3 corners surrounding it using simple turns. Once those 4 corners are in position, the remaining face may be turned to place the other corners. At this point, either all the corners will be placed or oriented, or else you may need to twist 2 or more corners.

To twist the front corner anticlockwise and the back corner clockwise, perform

L'RLR'  F  RL'R'L  F'



Step 2: Place Centers

Placing the centers is quite simple. At this stage we're not concerned with orienting them. To cycle 3 centers from L->U->F, perform 


(L'RLR')x2  DL  (RL'R'L)x2 DL'

Alternatively (not shown in video), to cycle 3 centers from B->U->F, perform

(R'LRL')  y2  (R'LRL')  y2



Step 3: Twist Centers

The only part of the cube which may now not be solved are the centers. These may be inverted in pairs. To flip the L and R center, perform


(L'RLR')x2  F  (RL'R'L)x2 F'




And that's it. Your Skewb Xtreme is now solved. I trust this site has been helpful. If you have any questions or want some clarifications, please use the comments to do so.  To buy this puzzle, click here.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. Your method is brilliant.Easy to follow once you've grasped EPS & CPS. I've been learning from you in the last 6 months or so. Have to say that it was a bit hard to understand and take in the first place but it's all good now. Once again thanks heap. Jasond2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, really appreciate that. I agree, that the ultimate solution (EPS and CPS) is a little difficult to get initially, but once you've got it you can do almost anything with it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Standard rubiks notation to turn the whole cube one turn clockwise. Here's a link:

      http://ruwix.com/the-rubiks-cube/notation/

      Delete
  3. Ahhh... thanks for your link - these are VERY advanced terms - d = 2 layer rotation, y = change point of view of the cube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Notation Question: Why do make y lower case, but all other letters upper case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because that's what the rest of the world seems to do. I didn't invent the terminology. I don't even use it myself, I just have it there to attempt to aid others. On the page above, they use uppercase, but most places I've seen it (esp. on the TP forums) they use lowercase.

      Delete
  5. What notation is DL? I'm following skewb FCN notation and there's no definition for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The orientation is not specified. Do you hold it with the the corner's point facing you, or like a regular 3 x 3? The reason I ask is because the place where I assume the "video" is supposed to be says "this plugin is not supported"
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the videos. Google has an incredibly annoying habit of changing the backend code required and not telling anybody. I've re-inserted the videos now.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 12 color sleep extreme and the center algorithm to cycle centers left to up to front isn't working. I can fully understand you tutorial and in my opinion it has been the most helpful but for some reason that algorithm isn't working. Is it me or is it the 12 colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the algorithm shouldn't depend at all on the colours. However, I suppose perhaps it's possible. I don't have the 12 colour version. Without having one to test I can't really definitively answer your question, unfortunately.

      Delete